Friday, September 18, 2009

Showing cattle

I showed cattle since i was 12 years old! My First steer was from are neibors, when he was born his mom died. So i had to bottol feed him, then teach him to eat grain. Since i had him from two days old he would follow me around like a little puppy dog. he grew to weigh 1,300 pounds! THATS A BIG BOY!!! it was very hard to sell this steer at the end of fair! He was my baby and the buyer new that so he let me keep him even thou he bought him. I was so happy that i was able to take floppys home!! Showing cattle was a project my brother adn i did together. So we became every close do to this.

We bought are steers in the beggining of october at the weight of 500 pounds. the only reason why we bought are steers is because we dont have room for cows, so we cant show the calves they would have. We work this these steers from october till the end of july! that ment 3 a days washes in the summer time, Bring them in from out side at 5 in the moring then the weather was to hot. We would even bring them in when it started to rain, we didnt want them to get hurt by any means! it was always cute then they can into the barn they had there own little shop in the barn so they would go there right away and wait to be tied up! they would have 4 fans on them at all time, the barn was even had A.C! My mom always got up set because are house didnt even have A.C!!

Showing cattle takes a lot of time and Still. I know if you have ever went to a county fair, all you see is use walking in to a ring and a judge picks the one he likes but there is alot of other things that go in to it behind the seens. I dont want to make you fall alsleep by me telling you every little thing we do to get them ready. but if you would care to know leave me a ? about it and i will tell you!

Are county fair is the monreo county fair in tomah. My brother and i have alot of great memories from the fair. like winning grand champion steer or reserve champion 6 out of the 8 years we showed! thats a great deal to win, and im very pround of my brother and my family for the help!

any ? please ask i know i was breif but if a went all in to it we would be here for a YEAR

No comments:

Post a Comment